You are correct. Most or all coaches do not want their players arguing or speaking to officials and that is not what the Captains arm band allows. But if a coach has a question about a call he asks his Captain to speak with the offical in the proper manner and that is what the arm band allows. Officials will not normally speak to a player unless they are the Captain. But sometimes he will not speak to the Captains. I have seen many times when an official just waves off the captain and not allow him to perform his job for the team.
The bands are a nuisance to wear, most players dont really care to wear it. And the refs will speak to just about any player as long as the player is questioning with respect and not yelling or going off. When respect goes both ways and with good game control the players and ref communicate respectfully, then arm bands are not needed.
Post by beauchenecoach on Jan 13, 2011 8:38:33 GMT -6
Part of the prestige and tradition of the beautiful game. It's a tradition that other sports have copied (Hockey with the C or A on the jersey, the NFL with the C and star system...).
A captain is the coach on the field. A captain has earned the respect of his teammates. A captain will lead by example and doesn't use a band as an attempt to stroke his ego. A captain will lead his team and pick them up when they are down. A captain wears his armband on his left sleeve... a symbol of wearing your heart on your sleeve.
A side note... the sport of soccer worldwide has only ONE captain. Vice captains will take over the band when the Captain is subbed out, injured, or card suspended. But there is only 1 captain on the field at a time. Just a pet peeve of mine when I see 3 and 4 armbands on the field at a time. If you have 3 or 4 captains, you don't have 1.
Another pet peeve... why do some high school teams have a #1 on the field? Respect the history and tradition of the beautiful game people! #1 is a goal keeper... PERIOD! 99% of the time, it is your #1 keeper... the other 1%, it is your backup... but it is always a KEEPER, not a midfielder or defender!
Nice lesson Beau...I did not know that soccer had a # designation for players. Is it only the keeper or do midfielder and defenders also try to stay in a certain # range?? Or is it more like baseball where they try to keep lower #'s. I remember one of my coaches telling a player "NO you can't have #99 it is not a baseball #"! Like anything the # system has changed with the times...and like most sports the new generation just does not care about History like us OLDER fellas.
Post by WCAGirlsSoccer on Jan 13, 2011 11:48:30 GMT -6
Last home game I was in the referee told me that since I am the captain I am responsible for any situation that he cannot handle and that if there is a card thats needs to be given but he was not sure who to give it to, I would receive it. So yeah, they are for referee's recognition...
"I was successful because I tried more times than I succeeded."
Post by menardeaglescoach on Jan 13, 2011 11:55:25 GMT -6
When numbers were first put on soccer jerseys only numbers 1-11 were used and during this time in the first English Leagues, you only had 11 players for a game, if your goalkeeper got injured there were no substitutes, one of the field players became the goalkeeper and hopefully if it was only a hand injury to your goalkeeper and he could then play the field otherwise you would play with 10 players if he went off the field. When numbers first came out the formations played were a 2-3-5 pyramid and the numbers went numerically from the goalkeeper to the forward. The 4-4-2 which most people are used to today the numbers would relate to positions as follows; 1- Goalkeeper, 2- Right Back, 3- Left Back, 4- Defensive Central Midfielder, 5- Center Back, 6- Center Back, 7- Right Midfielder/Winger, 8- Attacking Central Midfielder, 9- Center Forward, 10- Forward/Central Midfield/Playmaker was the best player on your team, 11- Left Midfielder/Winger.